Gerund and Uses

A. Gerunds as SubjectsThe use of the gerund phrase as subject already discussed the components of the sentence subject sentences. To refresh your memory, consider the following example:

    
Having a lot of money is better than having a little. (Got a lot of money is better than have a little money).
    
Writing and speaking are two different aspects in a language. (Writing and speaking are two different aspects in a language).
    
Dropping out of school has by the caused him hard to find a good job. (Dropped out of school has made him difficult to get a decent job / good).

B. Gerunds as ObjectsIf the verb following another verb or follow prepositions, the verb that follows this sentence serves as an object.1. After verbsAs with the infinitive, gerund can also follow certain verbs, as in the following sentence pattern:Subject + verb + gerundHere are the verbs that directly followed by a gerund.admit (admit)appreciate (appreciate)avoid (avoid)can not helpConsider (considering)complete (completed)delay (delay)deny (deny)
enjoy (enjoy)finish (finish)mind (mind)miss (misses)Postpone (delay)practice (practice)quit (quit)recall (recall)
regret (regret)report (report)resent (regret)resist (insisting)resume (start again)risk (risk taking)suggest (suggest)begin (start)can not stand (not resistant)continue (continue)dislike (do not like)dread (fear)hate (hate)like (love)love (love)prefer (preferred)start (start)stop (stop)remember (remember)forget (forget)Note:a) Verbs in the first row is always followed by a gerund (never followed by infinitives). Can not help here means "not Able to avoid a situation, or stop something from happening".b) Verbs in the second row apart followed by a gerund can also be followed by the infinitive with the same meaning with its gerund form. (See for example the infinitive).c) Verbs in the third row can also be followed by an infinitive, but the meaning is different from its gerund form. See contah 8, 9 & 10 and compare the difference in meaning with an example in the infinitive).Example:

    
Ryan Has Admitted killing eleven people yet? (Is Ryan has admitted killing 11 people?).
    
I appreciated being given suggestions by her. (I appreciate the suggestions given by him).
    
Tony always avoids answering my questions. (Tony always avoided answering my questions).
    
I enjoyed being with you last night. (I enjoy along with you last night).
    
Have you finished reading the book yet? (Did you have finished reading the book?)
    
They prefer playing football to studying. (They are more promiscuous / like playing football than studying). Note: Verb prefer if followed by a gerund, a pattern different from the sentence if followed by invinitive.
    
I can not help worrying about the upcoming exam. (I can not stop worrying about exams soon / already close to it).
    
I want to stop smoking. (I want to quit smoking). In this sentence, the subject I wanted to not smoke-smoking anymore.
    
My brother always remembers locking his car. (My sister always remember to lock the car). So far, the car has never been in a locked state. Note: Use the gerund after the verb remember if the activity is already done in the past.
    
My brother never Forgets locking his car. (My sister never forgot to lock the car). Similar to Example 7, so far, the car has never been in a locked state. Note: Use the gerund after the verb forget if the activity is already done in the past.2. After prepositionsBefore followed by gerunds, prepositions (preposition) usually follow verbs, adjectives, or nouns. Note the following pattern:Subjectverbadjectivenounprepositiongerunda. + Verbs + gerunds prepositionsPhrase in the following table are verbs + prepositions are always followed by a gerund (never followed by the infinitive.)approve of (approved)be better off (better)give up (stop)put off (squelch)think about (thinking)think of (think)worry about (worried)succeed in (successful)count on (believing in)depend on (depends on)insist on (insisting on)keep on (continue)rely on (depends on)object to (objections)look forward to (expected)confess to (acknowledge)Note: While followed by the preposition to, the phrase in the second line is always followed by a gerund. So, do not be confused with the infinitive.Example:

    
He gave up smoking Because of his doctor's advice. (She quit smoking because doctors advice).
    
Jenny INSISTED on buying that cellphone instead of this one. (Jenny insisted to buy it than HP's HP).
    
Have you ever thought of studying abroad? (Have you ever thought of studying abroad?)
    
After a long trial and error, he finally succeeded in fixing his laptop. (After much trial and error, he finally managed to fix the laptop).
    
My older sister objected to not being allowed to go out wit her friends. (My sister objection was not allowed out of the house with his friends).
    
I am looking forward to seeing you soon. (I (currently) are looking forward to seeing you soon). If INCORRECT: I am looking forward to see you soon.
    
No one has confessed to stealing my money yet. (No one who has admitted to stealing my money). INCORRECT if: No one has confessed to steal my money yet.b. Adjectives + prepositions + gerundsPhrase in the following table are adjectives + prepositions are always followed by a gerund (never followed by the infinitive.)accustomed to (used to)intent on (mean)afraid of (fear of)interested in (interested in)capable of (can / can afford)successful in (successful)fond of (likes to)tired of (tired of)Example:

    
Will you be capable of finishing your work by noon tomorrow? (Do you (will) be able to finish your work before 12 noon tomorrow?).
    
Are you afraid of sleeping in the dark? (Are you afraid to sleep in the dark?).
    
I am tired of studying all day long. Let's go out to have fun. (I'm tired (because of) learning day. Pleasures Let's find out).
    
Judith is fond of singing while taking a shower. (Judith likes to sing while showers).
    
Bobby is accustomed to buying roses for his girlfriend. (Bobby used to buy roses for his girlfriend).c. Nouns + prepositions + gerundsPhrase in the following table are nouns + prepositions are always followed by a gerund (never followed by the infinitive.)choice of (option)excuse for (reasons why)intention of (mean)methods for / of (method for)possibility of (likely)reason for (the reason)Example:

    
The teacher gave us a choice of taking another exam. (The teacher gave us the option to take the test again).
    
I am so sorry. I had no intention of hurting your feeling. (I'm so sorry. I have no intention to hurt you).
    
He always has an excuse for being late. (He always had a reason why (he) late).
    
There is no possibility of recruiting new employees during recession we are facing now. (There is no possibility to recruit new employees during the recession that we are facing now).
    
Have you found the best method for improving your English yet? (Have you found the best method to improve the (ability) your English?)
    
Your reason for getting bad grades is a big nonsense. (The reason why the values ​​you're ugly is crap / hoax).C. Gerunds as ModifiersOften we find a sentence that uses the modifier clause (ie prepositions + S + V). If the subject of the main clause and the same modifier, subject of the modifier can be omitted, but verbnya turned into a gerund.Example:

    
After doing the homework, I will play football. = After I do my homework, I will play football.
    
Cats usually snore while sleeping. = Cats usually snore while they (the cats) are sleeping.
    
I had had a very bad English before reading these articles. = I had had very bad English before I read these articles.
    
Besides watching movies, I like reading novels. = Besides I like watching movies, I like reading novels.
    
Because of not studying well, I did not pass the test. = Because I did not study well, I did not pass the test. Note: Because of and the use is Because different. Can you see the difference?D. Usage (pronoun / noun) before gerundsIn the patterns above, before the gerund can also be inserted pronoun in the form of possessive adjectives (ie my, your, his, her, its, their, our) or by a noun in the form of possessive (ie noun + 's, for example: John's, Rini's, Indonesia's , ect).Subjectverb(Pronoun / noun) in possessive formgerundSubjectverbadjectivenounprepositions--prepositionsNote: Note the difference pronoun is used in the infinitive.Example:

    
We are looking forward to your coming next week. (We are looking forward to coming next week).
    
My father does not approve of my brother's marrying her. (My father did not approve of her marrying my brother).
    
They resented the teacher's not Announcing the exam sooner. (They deplored the teacher who did not announce earlier examinations).
    
He objected to my calling his girlfriend last night. (He objected to the phone to her boyfriend that I did last night).
    
We all regret Danny's not going to school anymore. (We all deplored Danny is not school anymore).
    
Before my sister's leaving for Bali next week, my parents are going to have a small gathering at home this weekend. (Before my sister left for Bali next week, my parents would get together at home events this weekend).
    
After his confessing to using drugs, she did not want to see him again. (After he admitted using drugs, she did not want to see him again).Negative form gerundsNegative form gerunds made by placing an adverb NOT in front of the gerund.Example:

    
She regretted not seeing her boyfriend last weekend. (She regrets not met his girlfriend last weekend).
    
Students are usually worried of not getting good grades. (Students will not normally worry about getting good grades).
    
The criminal INSISTED on not telling the truth even though the policemen had tortured him. (Criminals was adamant not to tell the truth even though the police had tortured him).