Infinitive and its Use

 A. Infinitives as Subjects
As the subject line, generally in the form of infinitive infinitive clause.
Example:

    To play kites when it's very cloudy is very dangerous. (Playing kite is very dangerous when thick clouds).
    To study the grammar is a must if you want to improve your English. (Learning grammar is a must if you want to improve your English skills).
    To play football is very joyful when drizzling. (Playing football when spatter very fun).
By not changing the meaning, the third sentence in the row can be expressed as follows:



    It is very dangerous to play kites when it's very cloudy.
    It is a must to study the grammar if you want to improve your English.
    It is very joyful to play football when drizzling.

B. Infinitives as Objects
Often we have to use verbs after other verbs. If the verb followed by another verb, the verb that follows the sentence serves as an object. Verbs that can be shaped to follow the infinitive or gerund can also take the form, depending on the verbs that follow. Verbs in the following table followed by infinitives.

agree (approved)
Appear (looks)
attempt (trying)
claim (claim)
decide (decide)
demand (demand)
desire (desire)
expect (hope)
fail (failed)

hesitate (hesitate)
hope (hope)
intend (mean)
learn (to learn)
need (need)
offer (offer)
plan (plan)
prepare (prepare)
pretend (pretend)

promise (promise)
refuse (refuse)
seem (seem)
strive (trying hard)
growing niche (tends)
try (try)
want (wanted)
wish (hope)
would like (want / wanted)
begin (start)
can not bear (no resistance)
can not stand (not resistant)
continue (continue)

dislike (do not like)
dread (fear)
hate (hate)
like (love)

love (love)
prefer (preferred)
start (start)
stop (stop)

remember (remember)

forget (forget)
Note:

    Verbs in the first row is always followed by infinitives (never followed by a gerund).
    Verbs in the second row apart followed by infinitives can also be followed by gerunds with the same meaning as its infinitive form. (See examples 13-17).
    Verbs in the third row can also be followed by gerunds, but its meaning is different from its infinitive form. See contah 18, -20 and compare differences in meaning with an example in the discussion of the gerund).
Example:

    Everybody has agreed to meet again next week. (Each person has agreed to meet again next week).
    Look! The newly born calf is Attempting to stand on his own feet. (Lihat!. Calf newly born it is trying to stand on his own feet).
    He Claimed to have returned my book but I am a hundred percent sure that he has not. (He claims to have returned the book to me but I am 100% sure he has not returned).
    Our government Decided to lower the price of gas. (Our government decided to lower the price of gasoline). Note: gas = gasoline
    The laborers of that company are demanding to get better salaries. (Workers of the company demanding to get a better salary).
    If I make a mistake, please do not hesitate to correct me. (If I make a mistake, do not hesitate to correct me / do not hesitate to tell me that it's wrong).
    I was pretending to study hard when my mom entered my room last night. (I'm pretending to study hard when my mom entered my room last night).
    I am so sorry. I did not intend to hurt your feeling. (I'm so sorry. I do not mean to hurt you).
    She refused to accept my help. (He refuses to accept my help).
    If you do not strive to learn English, your English will not improve steadily. (If you're not struggling to learn English, the English language you will not continue to rise).
    I want to write down all of the English patterns on this blog. (I want to write all the English pattern in this blog).
    He needs to borrow some money. (He needs to borrow some money).
    I like to study English = I like studying English. (I like to learn English).
    They just Began to study math last night = They just Began studying math last night. (They started just beginning to learn math last night). Note: abbreviated math of mathematics.
    My grandmother could not bear to hear the loud noise coming from the construction site = My grandmother could not bear hearing the loud noise coming from the construction site. (My grandmother could not bear to hear the loud noise coming from the construction site (ie building) is.
    They prefer to play football than (to) study = They prefer playing football to studying. (They would rather play football than studying). Note: These two sentences mean the same, but slightly different grammar. Notice where lies the difference.
    We started to try to study English last month = We started trying to study English last month. (We started trying to learn English last month).
    I want to stop to smoke. (I want to stop (doing something that is being done) to smoke). In this sentence, the subject I want to stop doing something in order to smoke. Distinguish pales verb smoke in gerund form.
    My brother remembered to lock his car. (My sister remembered to lock the car). In this sentence, the subject remembered my brother first and then he locked the car activity). Note: Use if the activity of the infinitive verb that follows it will be done after the action of the verb remember). This also applies verb weeks to forget.
    My brother did not forget to lock his car. (My sister did not forget to lock the car).
2. Once the object pronoun or noun
In contrast to the above verbs, verbs in the following table generally requires an object pronoun (ie me, you, him, her, it, them, us) or a noun before followed by the infinitive.
advise (advise)
allow (allow)
ask (tell)
Encourage (push)
expect (hope)
force (force)

invite (invites)
need (need)
order (rule)
permit (permit)
remind (warn)
require (need)

tell (inform)
want (wanted)
warn (warn)
would like (want)
Example:

    The teacher advised us to study harder. (The teacher advised us to study harder).
    Have your parents allowed you to have a boyfriend yet? (Do your parents have let you have a boyfriend?)
    My mom asked me to help my younger brother (to) do his homework. (Mama I asked my sister to help me work on PRnya). Note: verb help can be followed by the infinitive or verb1. However, verb1 more often used.
    Ronny begged Rini to marry him. (Ronny begged Rini to marry her).
    The eruption of mount Merapi forced the villagers to flee their villages. (The eruption of Mount Merapi forced the villagers to leave their villages).
    A success story can Encourage people to be successful. (A story of success can encourage people to be successful).
3. After adjectives
In general adjective can be followed by either the infinitive or by a gerund sentence without changing the meaning. However, there are some that only adjective followed by the infinitive and is never followed by a gerund. Adjectives is presented in the following table.
Able (can)
anxious (anxious, excited)
boring (bored)
Common (common)
dangerous (dangerous)
difficult (difficult)

eager (enthusiastic)
easy (easy)
good (good)
hard (difficult)
pleased (pleased)
prepared (ready)

ready (ready)
strange (strange)
usual (usual)
Note: Able and capable have the same meaning (ie can / can afford), but different grammarnyasangat; Able followed by the infinitive, while capable of + followed by a gerund (See for example the discussion of the gerund).
Example:

    Will you be Able to finish your work by noon tomorrow? (Do you (will) be able to finish your work before 12 noon tomorrow?).
    Yeyes is very eager to wear her new cloth. (Yeyes very excited to wear / put on her new clothes).
    I am lazy to go to study English. (I'm lazy to go to learn English).
    She is happy to give you this present. (He was happy to give this gift).
    My father's car is dirty enough to be washed. I am ready to wash it now. (Car father dirty enough to be washed. Now I'm ready to wash it).
    We have to be strong to accept this bad news. (We have to be strong to accept the bad news).
4. After nouns
Example:

    I will go to a shopping mall to buy a new bag. (I'll go to the mall to buy a new bag).
    He is looking for a knife to peel the mango. (He was looking for a knife to peel the mango).
    He climbed that tall tree to get his kite. (He's climbing a tall tree to get the kite).
    My father usually puts on his sunglasses to protect his eyes from the sun rays. (My dad usually wears glasses to protect his eyes from the sun).
    Every driver has to push the brake to stop the car. (Every driver must step on the brake to stop the car).
Negation
Infinitive is made negative by placing a particle (the auxiliary) NOT in front of the infinitive.
Example:

    Everybody has agreed not to meet again. (Each person has agreed not to meet again).
    Do you prefer not to study? (Do you prefer not to learn?)
    We have Decided not to tell her the truth about what her boyfriend did last night. (We have decided not to tell him the truth about what her boyfriend did last night).
    Today is a holiday. I am glad not to go to school today.
    The laborers of that company are demanding not to get laid off. (Workers of the company is demanding not to be dismissed / laid off).